INSPIRE Potentials - QSIT Master Internship Award
Pursuing challenging master research projects are important stepping stones on which to develop ambitious research careers. In a field of science where women are still strongly underrepresented even at student level (IT 14%, Physics 20%, Mechanical and electrical engineering 15%, Chemistry 35%), the INSPIRE Potentials Master internship awards the ambition to attract excellent female students who will conduct their Master thesis in a laboratory belonging to the NCCR QSIT network. The grants scheme thus aims to increase the number of women researchers in research fields related to the partaking laboratories.
The scheme targets female Master students about to embark on their Master thesis, who
- demonstrate their motivation and potential to conduct their Master research project in a laboratory of a principal investigator from NCCR QSIT
- meet the requirements for student enrolment at the corresponding host university/institution.
- CHF 8'000 (split into 6 monthly payments). External awardees get in addition CHF 2'000 for travel expenditures.
- Supervision in a stimulating research environment.
- Social and networking events with students and researchers from the NCCR.
Note: Accommodation, tuition fees, visa fees, etc. must be paid by the awardee. Cumulating this award with substantial scholarships isn't possible. Candidates are required to declare all the scholarships they will receive during their master's and cases will be evaluated one by one.
4. Application procedure
Applications are to be submitted by email to:
Application deadlines: January 15, April 15, July 15, October 15
Required documents: All documents should be in English. Diplomas in French, German or Italian will be accepted, too.
- Résumé (Curriculum vitae)
- Motivation letter, including the preferred host laboratory for the Master project
- Two recommendation letters (recommended)
- Copy of your University degree(s) / transcripts from all grades
- Copy of identity card or passport (foreigners who live in Switzerland: + residence permit)
- If available: documents such as TOEFL or GRE scores
Selection is done on a competitive basis by members from the NCCR QSIT Scientific Committee. Candidates receive an answer about their application by email at the beginning of February/May/August/November. The selected candidates are asked to confirm their venue within 2 weeks. Otherwise, the award may be attributed to another candidate.
The award is granted only to selected applicants who have completed enrolment at their home university. Selected candidates are asked to start their Master thesis research in the host laboratory within 6 months. Payment of the award money is subject to ongoing activity of the Master research project.
This award was initiated in close collaboration with the NCCR MARVEL.